The online catalog is your starting point to view the Manchester-by-the-Sea (MBTS) Public Library’s extensive collection and place items on hold. You can borrow and access many resources at the Library or through the catalog. Besides books, audiobooks, music CDs, magazines, videos, laptops, tablets, Hotspots, the Library has several items for circulation in our Library of Things, which includes snowshoes, a home energy evaluation kit and so much more.
For any item not available in the online catalog, use the Commonwealth Catalog to search library catalogs throughout Massachusetts. There is no limit to the number of interlibrary loan requests placed directly by patrons. If you require staff assistance, however, please note there is a limit of 3 requests per person.
To borrow items not available in the online catalog or the Commonwealth Catalog, please ask Library staff or contact the Reference Librarian for assistance, 978-526-2017.
Having a MBTS Public Library card means you have access to online databases provided to us through the Mass Board of Library Commissioners. Subjects include Business, Gardening, Arts & Literature, and Health and Wellness. There are many databases for children and teens to utilize as well – Junior Reference Collection, National Geographic Kids. Since there are too many databases to list here, you are invited to check out the full list on our All Resources page.
Through the generosity of the Friends of the Library, the Library subscribes to the following—all free to MBTS Public Library patrons:
- Museum Passes—membership to a number of local cultural institutions
- Creativebug – For the crafter in all of us
- Ancestry Library – Genealogical search program [use in Library only]
- Rocket Languages – Stay at home and learn a language
- Consumer Reports – Get information and advice on products and services before you buy
- LinkedIn Learning — Business, Creative, and Technology online video courses taught by experts
- Morningstar — Financial services resource provides beginner or seasoned investors access to up-to-date research
- Wall Street Journal — An American business-focused newspaper, published six days a week by Dow Jones & Company, a division of News Corp.
- The Manchester Cricket, Essex Echo, Cape Ann Advertiser, Beetle & Wedge, Atlas of Essex County 1872 & 1884
- The Manchester Essex Regional High School Yearbooks
- The Importance of Remembrance Project, curated by Eagle Scout Leadership.
- eBooks & Audiobooks
- Videos [Movies & TV]
- Laptops, Tablets, Hotspots
- In-Library Use — computers, printer, scanner, fax
- Free WiFi – inside and outside the building
- Programming for Adults, Children, Teens
- Readers Advisory
- Book Discussion Groups
- Book Club Kits
- Computer Instruction
- Home Delivery
- Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC) Mobile app
- Tax Forms
- Books at the Beach