Library Card Information
- Manchester residents will be issued a Manchester Public Library card after showing identification with name and current address. The first card is free. Replacement cards are $1.00.
- Manchester residents under 12 years of age can obtain a library card with a parent’s or guardian’s signature.
- Non residents must get a card from their home town library which is then registered with the Manchester Public Library.
- Manchester Public Library card holders have reciprocal borrowing privileges at most Massachusetts public libraries.
- You may sign up for email notification for all your library notices. Click here to manage your email address.
- Click here for information about public library service in Massachusetts.
- An internet service, an alternative to email notification.
- Public Library membership is based on residency. Your Manchester property taxes support the library’s operations. Therefore local identification is required to obtain a Manchester library card.
- If you move or lose your library card please notify the library as soon as possible.
- You are responsible for all items checked out on your library card. Do not loan your card unless you are willing to assume that responsibility.
- Your library records and patron information are confidential. The privacy of all card holders, regardless of age, is protected by law. Library staff will only discuss an individual’s account with that person present.
- Please return materials on time, in the same condition as borrowed.
- The Library has two bookdrops, at the front door and at the Church St. entrance. Please use the Church St. bookdrop for A-V material.
- The library does not charge overdue fines but you may lose borrowing privileges if you have overdue materials.
- All children 7 years old and younger must be accompanied and supervised by a parent, caregiver, or other responsible adult over the age of 14.
- Reference books and archival materials are not loaned.
- The library reserves the right to limit the number of books on a subject or by one author, due to high demand.
- Non-book materials are limited to 6 per format.
- The current issue of a magazine is not available for circulation.
- Museum passes are limited to one per family per day.
- Borrowing privileges may be withheld if you have fifteen overdue items, or outstanding library bills.
- Museum Passes Until 9:00 AM the next day, except for coupons
- DVD’s, Sony Portable DVD Player, Play-away View, 1 Week
- Best Sellers 1 Week
- All other material 3 Weeks
- Materials may be renewed TWO times if not on reserve.
- Museum passes, DVD’s, games, and other equipment are NOT renewable.
Renewals may be made in person, over the telephone, or via the internet. You need either the barcode on your library card or on the item you wish to renew at hand. Telephone renewals will be handled as staffing allows, 978-526-7711. Please do not leave phone or email messages for renewals or requests when the Library is closed.
Patrons may renew material over the Internet. Go to the Online Catalog at the top of the page. Log into “My Account” using your library card number, with no spaces and your PIN number (initially the last four digits of your phone number). If you experience any problems contact the library at 978-526-7711.
Click here to manage your email address.
Returning Library Materials
- All materials should be returned to the main desk when the library is open.
- The bookdrop at the front door is open only when the library is closed.
- The bookdrop on Church St. is always open
- Please return CDs or books on CD in the Church St. bookdrop, in the media slot.
- Electronic equipment may not be returned in either bookdrop. There will be a $10 charge for electronic equipment returned in either bookdrop.
Fines & Fees
The Library does not charge overdue fines. However, having overdue material will stop you from checking out additional material. The staff will renew overdue material as library policy allows, but not all material may be renewed.
Lost or damaged material – original cost
Broken DVD & CD cases, lost inserts – $1.00
Damaged audiobook albums – cost of album
Lost earphones (Play-a-ways) – $2.00
Lost museum pass – $20